(By Noel Achariam and Rizki Sayuti , 12/6/2011)
Residents of Taman Kok Doh in Segambut are worried about several exposed wires jutting out from two lamp posts in their neighbourhood park. The residents claimed that the wires have been left exposed for more than five months. The neighbourhood park which is located in Jalan 19/42 serves more than 200 families in the vicinity.
Resident M.C. Leong, 58, was unhappy that no action was taken to cover the exposed wires. He fears for the safety of children playing at the park. Leong said the elderly go to the park for their morning exercise while youngsters use it to play basketball in the evening. "The park is used daily for basketball, qi gong and other activities. "At night, the residents use the park for activities such as line dancing. The authorities need to act fast before any untoward incident happens," he said.
Another resident Leong Sze Min, 27, said City Hall should conduct more frequent checks on all the parks in the neighbourhood. "Something must be done immediately to cover up the exposed wires. We hope the authorities will look into this matter immediately to prevent any accidents," she said.
An 11-year-old boy was electrocuted in March 19 at a playground in Taman Batu Tiga, Subang Jaya. SK Seksyen 20 student Muhammad Naqiuddin Mohd Marzuki was running home when he slipped and fell at 6.50pm after playing football with several friends on a wet field. As he was falling, one of his legs hit the lamp post and he was believed to have been electrocuted.
Segambut member of parliament Lim Lip Eng said the authorities should take action before there is a repeat of the Subang Jaya incident. He claimed that he had lodged several reports with City Hall two months ago but no action was taken. "I had written to City Hall three times and had called their hotline but there was no response," he said. Lim said he would asked City Hall to take action immediately.
The residents are also concerned about the uncollected rubbish at the park. They fear it will become a breeding ground for the Aedes mosquitoes.