Sunday, August 31, 2014

Idle land in Kepong a health hazard

Gaping holes: Abandoned earth works for the rescinded food court project in Kepong have made the land a perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes.
THE site of a stalled food court project in Bandar Manjalara Commercial Centre in Kepong is now at risk of becoming a mosquito-breeding ground.
Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL), which earlier approved the project on a piece of vacant government land belonging to the Federal Territory Land Office, has since withdrawn the approval after protests from the surrounding business community and work on the project has stopped.
Segambut MP Lim Lip Eng said the land consisted of three parcels that had been reserved for a clinic, post office and police station. However, no development took place.
“DBKL put advertisements in several newspapers on Jan 22 informing the public of an application to develop the parcel reserved for the clinic, to be turned into a food court. The public were given 14 days to give their objections.
“The business community in the area responded the next day protesting against the food court, citing parking issue and that it was unacceptable to use government land for commercial purposes instead of its original purpose of public institution.
“A letter signed by more than 20 business owners in the area was hand-delivered to DBKL by their representative Foo Yik Cheong, 67, who received an acknowledgment in return.
“There was no update on the project after that but suddenly in May, hoarding and banners were put up at the site advertising an upcoming food court. Earth and piling works also started,” he said.
Lim and the business community then wrote a letter requesting an explanation for the approval of the food court.
“DBKL replied that the permission was given in January because no objection was received.
“When we showed them the acknowledgement letter Foo received from DBKL, its Planning Department invited him for a meeting and verbally informed that the approval had been rescinded but could not provide the relevant document pertaining to that status update,” said Lim.
He pointed out that the earth works had damaged the land and turned the site into a health hazard as water was pooling and was perfect for mosquitoes to breed.
“I urge DBKL or the Federal Territory Land Office to repair the damaged land.
“Since the land is idle, I suggest that DBKL consider turning it into a carpark as they are insufficient during peak hours,” he added.

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Illegal shops in Segambut Dalam torn down

Knocked down: A DBKL officer keeping an eye as the illegal shops are being torn down.
RESIDENTS of Kampung Segambut Dalam are happy that the illegal shops along Jalan Segambut Dalam have been torn down by Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL).
A total of 10 illegal shops were demolished by four lorries and two excavators from DBKL.
Kampung Segambut Dalam Land Owners Association secretary Irwan Sabei said the illegal shops, which were manned by foreigners, were a nuisance to the residents.
“I have received a lot of complaints from the residents that the shops, which were built on the road reserve, had created a lot of problems such as clogged drains and traffic congestion.
“Vans delivering sundries to the shops will stop on the roadside and block one of the lanes.
“It is the main road for Segambut Dalam and traffic becomes congested when a delivery vehicle stops to unload goods.
“Hygiene is also a concern for nearby residents as the shops often dirty the place.
“We have requested for Alam Flora to clean up the drains but the drains will be clogged up again after a while,” he said.
The illegal shops consisted of sundry shops, a laundry shop as well as a butchery where beef and chicken meat were sold by the roadside.
Segambut MP Lim Lip Eng said he had brought up the matter in Parliament last year and DBKL had since issued notices to the illegal shops to stop operating as the structures would be demolished.
“However, they refused to comply and DBKL took action.
“I believe that the foreigners pay a monthly rent of between RM500 and RM700 to the local owners to operate the shops,” he said.
Lim said that the influx of foreigners had created a lot of problems for the community.
“The shops erected on the road reserve were against the law.
“Some of the foreigners were operating without a valid licence while some of them were without valid travel documents,” he said.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Residents to stay put in ‘unsafe premises’

(From left) Ramasamy Kolandapayan, Chan Kim Fah and Goh Toh Hoo showing the land titles to their shop lots. Pix by Rosela Ismail
KUALA LUMPUR: SHOPLOT owners of Block A of the Selangor State Development Corporation (PKNS) Flats in Jalan Kuching are in the lurch over a demolition notice issued by City Hall recently.
They want the council to justify the notice put up on one of the walls of block A and B last Friday.
The notice stated that the buildings are not safe and the building owner is required to undertake remedial works, fence it, or demolish it within 14 days of the notice issuance.
Failure to comply would result in a penalty of RM250 imposed by City Hall every day from the date the notice was issued.
Block B is unoccupied and abandoned while there are only eight occupied shop lots on the ground floor of Block A.
The residential units above are all vacant.
A shop owner Goh Toh Hoo, 70, said it was irresponsible of City Hall to put up a small notice without consulting the occupants.
“They (City Hall) should have served us the notice individually. None of the officers came to see us regarding this,” said Goh who has been running a pet shop in Block A since 1985.
“I’m not even squatting here. I am the rightful owner of this property and have title for the premises. If the building is demolished, where are we going to move? We don’t know what to do,” he said.
Ramasamy Kolandapayan, 77, who owns a sundry shop at the same block, said: “Even though the building is not safe to be occupied as City Hall claims, they should have approached us or notified us individually.
“I am sure City Hall has the addresses of our homes and shops. Why can’t they mail it to us?
“I came to know about the notice after receiving a call from another owner. If not, I wouldn’t have known about this.
“Fourteen days is a very short notice. I have been doing business here for the past 23 years. Where are we going to move now? If they want us to move out to restore the building or demolish it, then we should be provided with an alternative place to go. I’m not moving out.”
He also said it was not fair to him as he had made a one-year agreement with his tenant.
“If they (tenants) are asked to move out, then I would have to compensate them,” he said.
Another owner, Chan Kim Fah, 55, who has been running a used car business there since 1994, said he would neither move out nor pay the penalty.
“I’m not doing anything against the law. I have the title for the premises and have duly paid my assessment fees so I will not move out,” said Chan while showing his land title to the media during a press conference recently.
The residents had sought help from Segambut member of parliament Lim Lip Eng who said he had sent a letter to City Hall requesting the council to arrange for a meeting with the shop lot owners to find an amicable solution.
The flats, consisting of 15 blocks, were developed by PKNS 30 years ago. Ten blocks comprising 380 units were sold to the Defence Ministry in December 1975 while another five blocks comprising 220 units were sold to the public.
Strata titles for the properties were issued by the Federal Territories Land Office in 2008.
The 10 blocks — A, B, C, D, K, L, M, N, P and Q were occupied by Defence Ministry personnel who moved out in 2007.
The blocks have been abandoned and since then have been reported to be in a deplorable condition.
Meanwhile, a City Hall spokesman said it was a standard procedure to issue such notice on premises deemed not safe.
It said the notice was issued after receiving complaints on the condition of the flats and to prevent it from worsening.
He said the notice was first issued on Aug 7 but was later revoked and a new one issued on Aug 15.
Related news: Shopowners at PKNS flats told to repair building http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Community/2014/08/26/Shopowners-at-PKNS-flats-told-to-repair-building/

Monday, August 25, 2014

Gagal janji keharmonian kaum, Najib perlu contohi tindakan Azhar

SHAH ALAM, 21 OGOS: Perdana Menteri, Datuk Seri Najib Razak disaran mencontohi tindakan Ketua Pegawai Eksekutif MRT Corp, Datuk Azhar Abdul Hamid yang meletakkan jawatan ekoran kemalangan di tapak pembinaan projek yang meragut nyawa tiga pekerja warga asing, baru-baru ini.
Ahli Parlimen Segambut, Lim Lip Eng, berkata saranan itu perlu diambil Najib ekoran pelbagai krisis dan tragedi yang menimpa negara sejak kebelakangan ini di bawah pentadbirannya.
Katanya, Najib juga gagal mengawal perhimpunan awam yang menimbulkan rusuhan dan kenyataan berbaur perkauman, bahkan Najib dan barisan kabinetnya gagal mengawal sentimen negatif itu terutama ketika negara menghampiri ulang tahun kemerdekaan ke-57.
“Najib gagal menjanjikan keharmonian kaum di saat negara menghampiri ulang tahun kemerdekaan ke-57 beberapa hari sahaja lagi dan beliau langsung tidak menunjukkan sebarang rasa bersalah atau bertanggungjawab ke atas kegagalan itu.
“Najib juga kelihatan selamba sahaja bersetuju dengan kenyataan perkauman, termasuk kenyataan ‘balik Tongsan’ oleh orang sama yang mengetuai rusuhan di ibu pejabat DAP.
“Sewajarnya Najib dan pentadbirannya mencontohi tindakan Ketua Pegawai Eksekutif MRT Corp, Datuk Azhar Abdul Hamid yang meletakkan jawatan,” katanya dalam kenyataan media.
Pada 18 Ogos lalu, mantan Perdana Menteri, Tun Dr Mahathir membuat kenyataan menarik balik sokongan dan mengkritik kerajaan Najib Razak kerana prestasinya lebih buruk daripada penggantinya, Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.
Mahathir dalam tulisan di blognya menyindir Najibdengan analogi ‘Datuk-datuk’ yang memberikan nasihat salah kepada ‘raja’ hanya kerana ingin menyenangkan hati ketuanya itu.
Mengulas kritikan itu, Lip Eng berkata, pujian atas pendekatan Najib menangani tragedi MH17 yang kononnya lebih hebat daripada Presiden Amerika Syarikat, Barack Obama dan Presiden Rusia, Vladimir Putin oleh bekas pemangku Menteri Pengangkutan, Datuk Seri Hishamuddin Hussein tidak boleh menjadi ukuran prestasinya apabila beliau ternyata gagal dalam banyak hal lain.
“Beliau ternyata gagal dalam banyak hal lain. Kejadian di tanah air sendiri terus gagal ditangani termasuk kejadian pencerobohan dan penculikan yang terus berlaku berulang kali di Sabah,” katanya.
Pakatan Rakyat sebelum ini berulang kali mendedahkan salah laku, pembaziran dan kepincangan urustadbir membabitkan pentadbiran Najib setiap kali pembentangan bajet, pada bulan Oktober.
Related news: Berjaya kendali krisis MH17 bukan pengukur prestasi Najib  http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/rencana/article/tajuk#sthash.OzufYNRf.dpuf

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Jangan berpecah hanya kerana seorang individu

KUALA LUMPUR, 14 OGOS: Ahli Parlimen Segambut Lim Lip Eng mengingatkan bahawa Pakatan Rakyat  tidak perlu berpecah hanya kerana seorang individu bernama ‘Khalid Ibrahim’.
Kata Lip Eng, kerjasama erat selama ini antara PAS, PKR dan DAP seharusnya dipertimbangkan di saat-saat genting ketika ada pihak yang cuba melaga-laga persaudaraan yang telah lama dibina.
“Sejarah kerjasama parti-parti komponen Pakatan Rakyat mencatat begitu banyak kenangan yang baik-baik; terutamanya kemenangan besar dalam tsunami politik Mac 2008 serta kejayaan mendapatkan sokongan padu majoriti undi popular dalam PRU ke-13 tahun lalu.
“Kita mahu diingati sejarah untuk peristiwa sedemikian. Kita pastinya tidak mahu diingati sejarah kerana bergolak dan berpecah belah akibat kemelut Menteri Besar Selangor,” kata Lip Eng dalam satu kenyataan.
Tambah Lip Eng beliau gusar apabila mendapat maklumat bahawa ada pihak yang tidak selesa dengan persaudaraan Pakatan Rakyat, namun ‘malu-malu mahu mengaku teringin tidur sebantal dengan Umno dan BN’.
“Kalau tidak lagi selesa bersama semangat Pakatan demi kepentingan rakyat tanpa mengira kaum, agama, dan status ekonomi; kenapa mesti malu-malu mahu menyatakan keinginan untuk bersama Umno-BN?
“Saya menyeru sahabat-sahabat yang setia memperjuangkan kepentingan rakyat untuk menzahirkan kesetiaan kepada semangat Pakatan Rakyat dan jika sebaliknya berhajat untuk tidur sebantal dengan Umno, janganlah segan silu untuk mengaku,’ kata Lip Eng yang juga Setiausaha DAP Wilayah Persekutuan.
Beliau dalam pada itu menyatakan rasa gembira apabila dua Ahli Dewan Undangan Negeri (Adun) PAS Selangor, iaitu Saari Sungib dan Hasnul Baharuddin, bertindak menyatakan sokongan kepada Presiden PKR Datuk Seri Wan Azizah Wan Ismail selaku Menteri Besar yang baru.
Tengahari tadi, Saari dan Hasnul hadir bersama-sama semua Adun DAP dan PKR Selangor dalam sidang media bagi menunjukkan Wan Azizah memiliki majoriti yang cukup untuk menjadi MB baru negeri itu.
Sokongan itu sekaligus menamatkan kelayakan Khalid Ibrahim untuk terus memegang jawatan itu.
“Saya cukup gembira membaca berita itu…Bagi saya semangat setiakawan Pakatan mesti dijaga di saat genting sebegini.
“Saya menyeru sahabat-sahabat yang setia memperjuangkan kepentingan rakyat untuk menzahirkan kesetiaan kepada semangat Pakatan.
“Kita tidak mahu tersudut di nota kaki sejarah sebagai sebuah gabungan politik yang gagal dan berpecah selepas bertahun membina impian dan harapan baru bagi rakyat Malaysia
“Dahulukanlah kepentingan rakyat, janganlah sampai Pakatan Rakyat berpecah. Janganlah sampai pakatan politik ini hancur akibat perbuatan seorang manusia,” ujar Lip Eng. – Roketkini.com