Tuesday, September 24, 2013
‘Ops Cantas detainees will be charged after probe’
Source: http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2013/09/23/ops-cantas-detainees-will-be-charged-after-probe/ (By P Ramani, 23/9/2013)
Ops Cantas Khas will be continued until the crime rate is reduced, says Home Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi. Home Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said those arrested under Ops Cantas Khas are still being investigated and will be charged after all evidence is gathered.
Zahid said this in response to Lim Lip Eng (DAP-Segambut) who wanted to know why no charges were brought against those arrested in the operation.
He said the nationwide crackdown on gangsters begun on Aug 17 and was expected to end on Oct 19. However, he added that the operation would be continued until the crime rate was brought down. Zahid said the police had increased checks near the Thai border to nab gangsters to trying to escape the crackdown.
The Home Minister said 3,842 Malays, 2,485 Indians, 1,888 Chinese and 1,483 others had been arrested during the operation. He said 214 investigation papers were opened under Registrar of Societies Act 1966 and 46 cases under Prevention of Crime Act 1959.
He added that Selangor had the highest number of gangsters arrested at 3,889 followed by Johor (3,790) and
(749). Kuala Lumpur
Zahid said the crackdown had enabled police to gather more intelligence information on serious crime offenders. He said police were also monitoring former criminals from the 70s and 80s to see whether they had returned to crime.