KUALA LUMPUR: The Year of the Ox will bring some good news to flash flood victims of Kampung Segambut Bahagia.
They will get the RM300 promised to them by City Hall around Chinese New Year.
"We wanted to have a proper function for the residents and we are considering distributing the money around Chinese New Year," said mayor Datuk Ahmad Fuad Ismail.
The residents had earlier complained that no further action was taken by City Hall since former mayor Datuk Ab Hakim Borhan visited them on Oct 29 and announced that RM300 would be given to each of the 193 families.
Hakim had also announced three flood-retention projects for the area.
One of the victims, Zori Hamid, 37, said none of the City Hall officers got in touch with them since the announcement was made.
"We have been complaining about frequent flash flood but the problem still persists. During the rainy season, we get flash floods two or three times a week.
"The worst was on Oct 17 last year when the water level was waist high. I suffered losses totalling RM7,000 as most of my electrical appliances were damaged," Zori said.
Residents of other nearby villages affected by the flash flood have asked if they would also be getting money from City Hall.
S. Chinapan, 53, of Segambut Estate, said about 30 families in his neighbourhood were affected by the floods.
"We had to throw away food items like rice as they were damaged during the flash flood and there was nothing we could do. I just want this problem to be solved as we have been forced to put up with the frequent flash floods long enough," he said.