Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A China dissident holding a Malaysian passport - a typical case of kautimism

Zhou Yongjun, a former student leader of China's 1989 pro-democracy movement and the first student leader elected to lead the Autonomous Students' Federation of Beijing Universities, has been arrested for the 3rd time by the Chinese government since the June 4, 1989 Tiananmen Square incident.
It was reported in today’s Sin Chew Daily and on OpEdNews an internet news portal that Zhou was detained using a Malaysian passport which bore the name Wang Xingxiang by the Chinese authority while in his attempt to enter China in September, 2008.
In this case, several answers from Malaysian immigration department are immediately obvious.
Is Zhou’s Malaysian passport genuine?
How did he obtain it?
Does Wang Xingxiang exist?
Are Zhou and Wang Malaysians?
If the Malaysian government fails to explain these questions, I have no doubt our country will again and for the 3rd time find itself blacklisted in the next year’s US State Department Trafficking in Persons report.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YB,

By highlighting this case, you have shown that DAP is NOT some Chinese-only race party.

Some may say that you're a traitor to your race for exposing this China dissident but I'm glad that you have shown that you don't play race politics.

Every time I read one of your posting, I feel more comfortable accepting you as my Segambut MP rather than a beneficiary of my protest vote during the last election.

You'll get my vote in the next one.

My utmost respects to you.